Again, it's been another busy month around these parts, both business wise and personally. We finally had the scaffold go up around our house on Tuesday for new insulation, rewiring and finally, a new roof! The only issue with this is that none of these things you can actually see from ground level. So, it feels like we're spending money on nothing. But, I'm looking forward to feeling the difference in warmth come winter time (which is fast approaching round these parts). Our house is already a really warm one, but I think adding good quality insulation into the ceiling will make it even more efficient, and will stop us using as much of that big pile o' wood we had delivered the other day with the wood-burner going over winter. But, I'm looking forward to snuggling up on the couch with some knitting, a toasty fire and soon (much sooner than I realise!) a little one.
Business-wise, which is actually the whole point of these posts, is swimming along. Most of the goals I wrote about in my January Update are either started or completed.
- Organisation and the Great Sewing Room Tidy - this one I'm really excited about. It's taken a bit longer than I expected to tidy my sewing room, mostly because I've ended up switching things around in there quite a bit.
It's not quite finished, but it looks great! A sewing room tour is most definitely in the cards, now that it's not one of 'those' rooms you don't let people into because as soon as you open the door, you're bombarded with an avalanche of fabric and pins and notes scribbled here and there.
- Re-branding - this has begun and I'm jumping out of my seat excited! I feel like sometimes re-branding is much more exciting for the person actually doing the re-branding than it is for the person's audience. But, if it makes that person more confident moving forward, then it can only be a good thing at the end of the day.
There is still quite a bit to do, as we're only in the early stages, but I hope the blog rebrand will be complete by the end of March or beginning of April.
- Release The Felicity Dress pattern - tick!! I love this dress pattern and I'm really sad that I won't be able to wear my dresses for too much longer with a growing bump.
But, I've started writing all the Sew Along posts to go with it which will hopefully get me through my officially-can't-wear-anything-without-stretch-in-it phase. Who knows how long that will last, but probably much longer than I realise, what with the whole needing easy access to my chest area post-birth thing.
Sew along dates will be posted next week.
- And although I had tied this goal in with my re-branding, The Bronte Top pattern is nearly ready to be re-released with the two extra sizes having been added to the upper end of the range. I've also added in Final Measurements, which are currently not included in the pattern as it stands.
I'm also writing a tutorial on how you can turn your Bronte Top into a Maternity Top once the updated pattern has been released, so, watch this space.
Phew! Busy month! But, I can't linger on February for very long, as March is hot on our heels. So, what's in store?
- Sewing Room Tour - this is the only room in the house that hasn't been painted yet, and I have a feeling it won't be done for some time. So, once I've got it organised to a point that I can take some photos, I'll be taking you all on a wee tour.
- Re-branding - March is the month that I really want to focus implementing the re-branding throughout my website and Etsy shop. Right now everything is really disjointed, with old banners and colours still lingering.
Once that has been done, planning my paper patterns can officially begin and I can start to re-lay my patterns and the instructions for print. It's going to be a busy and probably really intense time that no one but me will see, but I'm really looking forward to it.
- Re-release the Bronte Top Pattern - see last bullet point in my January re-cap above.
- Start the Felicity Dress Sew Along (with a difference) - again, dates will be posted next week.
- And last, but certainly the most boring, taxes. March is the end of the financial year here in NZ and so I'll be doing my first ever business taxes. I haven't been totally lazy on this front, just mostly lazy, so I really do need to start looking at this and getting on top of it (firstly by finding all those receipts that I know I've kept, but kept in all number of 'safe' places around the house). Ugh...
I also enter my third trimester in March, and with that brings a whole new world of panic as I realise I haven't started stitching up any of the things I meant to and need to before a little one arrives. Curtains (oh the curtains!!!), wood basket liners, soft storage boxes for toys and books, a quilt I want to make for David's and my bedroom, drafting some quick pj pants for my third trimester belly, stitching up some toys, making a Newcastle Cardigan for David... etc. And that's just the start of the sewing list, I can't even begin to think about the non-sewing list right now...
So, sewing pals, how was your February? Any grand March plans?